Marvin Tools provide the core functionality for accessing MaNGA data with Marvin. At the lowest level they are class wrappers around data products or elements (DRP datacubes, DAP maps, and spaxels). Their purpose is to provide a more natural way to interact with the data, unconstrained by specific data storage architectures such as files or databases. The tools are built on top of the data access modes, which abstracts the data access regardless of their actual origin. Marvin Tools provide:
- Access to DRP Cubes and their spectra.
- Access to Row-stacked Spectra files.
- Access to DAP Maps and ModelCubes.
- Convenient access to all the DRP and DAP properties for a given Spaxel or Bin.
- The data delivered as Astropy quantities with the inverse variance and mask, as well as associated properties.
- Easy handling of maskbits and labels.
- DAP Map arithmetic.
- Autocompletion of properties and channels (powered by a datamodel).
- The ability to extract all spaxels within a region.
- Access to NSA and DRPall data.
- Access to contributed MaNGA VACS
- Easy data download.
Using the tools
- Row-Stacked Spectra (RSS)
- Value-Added Catalogs (VACS)
Common Tools Features
- Data Access Modes
- Downloading Objects
- Pickling Marvin Instances
- Catalogue mixins
- Using getAperture
- Plotting Methods
- Analysis Tools
All object- and search-based tools in Marvin are linked together. To better understand the flow amongst the various Tools, here is a visual guide.
- The red squares and green squares indicate the set of Marvin Tools available.
- The orange circles highlight how each Tool links together via a method or an attribute. In each transition link, a lowercase Tool name represents an instantiation of that tool, e.g.
cube = Cube(). To go from a Marvin
Cubeto a Marvin
Spaxel, you can use the
cube.getSpaxelmethod or the
cube[x,y]notation. Conversely, to go from a
Cube, you would use the
spaxel.cubeattribute. Single or bidirectional arrows tell you which directions you can flow to and from the various tools.
- Purple circles represent display endpoints. If you want to display something, this shows you how which tool the plotting command is connected to, and how to navigate there.
||A class to interface with MaNGA DRP data cubes.|
||A class to interface with a MaNGA DRP row-stacked spectra file.|
||A class that represents a DAP MAPS file.|
||A class to interface with MaNGA DAP model cubes.|
||A class to interface with MaNGA images.|
||A class describing a measurement with additional information.|
||A class representing an spectrum with extra functionality.|
||Describes 2D array object with addtional features.|
||A mixin that provides access to NSA paremeters.|
||A mixin that provides access to DAPall paremeters.|